mjrb a bilingual blog

Sunday, March 05, 2006

2005 MJ's Nominations/Las Nominaciones de los MJs

Here are the nominations for this year's MJ's

Best Actress in a Leading Role Nominations

Emily Mortimer, Dear Frankie







Sigourney Weaver, Imaginary Heroes









Natalie Press, My Summer of Love






Miranda July, Me, You and Everyone We Know





Camilla Belle, The Ballad of Jack and Rose









Best Actor in a Leading Role Nominations

Emile Hirsch, Imaginary Heroes







Daniel Day Lewis, The Ballad of Jack and Rose







Anthony LaPaglia, Winter Solstice






Daniel Breuhl, The Edukators






Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain








Best Supporting Actor Nominations

Jeffrey Wright, Broken Flowers






Dennis Quaid, In Good Company







Jeff Daniel, The Squid and The Whale







Rupert Everett, Separate Lies






Jake Gyllenhaal, Brokeback Mountain






Best Supporting Actress Nominations

Laura Linney, The Squid and the Whale







Allison Janney, Winter Solstice






Emily Blunt, My Summer of Love




Frances McDormand, North Country








Amy Addams, Junebug






Best Movie Nominations

Brokeback Mountain, Dir. Ang Lee








The Ballad of Jack and Rose, Dir. Rebecca Miller





March of the Penguins, Dir. Luc Jacquet







Dear Frankie, Dir. Shona Auerbach








My Summer of Love, Dir. Pavel Pawlikowsky








Worst Movie Nominations

Mr. and Mrs. Smith








Wallace and Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit








Wedding Crashers








Holy Girl








Bewitched

7 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Blogger Steve said...

You know who my choices are if you've read the 4th Annual Steve Awards, but I'll add this:

I love Emily Mortimer, though I'm still waiting for her to get that role of a lifetime (I don't think Pink Panther is going to be it). I thought Dear Frankie was decent, but not wonderful, so I was surprised it made it onto your best film list, especially since The Edukators did not. I think Daniel Bruhl was great in The Edukators, as were his co-stars and I had an easier time leaving him off my nominations list because I knew that The Edukatorscould bring home the Best Motion Picture Steve. I almost nominated Rupert Everett for Best Supporting Steve and I really enjoyed Separate Lies and relished his work in it when we saw it on Saturday night. I also think Jeffrey Wright was excellent in Broken Flowers, but as you know, I didn't dig the film (I thought it was monotonouosly dreary). Allison Janney is another great actress who deserves great roles in future films. Brokeback Mountain didn't make my Best Films list, but I was really sorry, and shocked, when it lost the Oscar for Best Picture to Crash, which I have grown to like less and less over time (though I must admit that some of its individual scenes are well-done; it's the contrived quality of the overall structure of the film that grates on my nerves). Finally, I'm glad to see Holy Girl on this list. It almost made it on my worst list, too.

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Maria Jose said...

I understand what you say about The Edukators. I had a hard time not including it in the best movie list. But at the end, the memory I have of my reaccion to Dear Frankie won. I wonder how I would feel about it if I see it again now.

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger ervierto said...

I also liked the Edukators, and I [particularly liked Jeffrey Wright in Broken Flowers (though I concur that it was a bit dreary). I also saw the picture of Emily Mortimer and thought, hey, I like that girl (though I had never known her name). And, I enjoyed her work in The Pink Panther, though I would be hesitant to call anything from that movie the role of a lifetime. As for Crash, I must say I was pleased, since I was a big fan. I thought Sigourney Weaver and Emile Hirsch were very good. I look forward to the winners...

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger rnr said...

Well, a bunch of "movies to see" has been added to my list. From your selections, MJ, I have added: Separate Lies, The Squid..., The Ballad..., Dear Frankie, and Me, You... I especially look forward to Dear Frankie for comparison with The Edukators.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Maria Jose said...

Ruth, let me know what you think of Dear Frankie when you see it.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger lisa said...

In Good Company, Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Bewitched--another sad list of the few MJ's that I saw.
akid should be very pleased to see allison janney somewhere besides west wing. we both like her alot, but akid has a thing for her.
quite a few pretty women in your list. i can't say anything more substantial than that.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Maybe your goal this year, Lisa, should be to see more films that have a chance at a nomination of some kind?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home