mjrb a bilingual blog

Friday, March 24, 2006

Celebration/Celebración

Last Wednesday Steve and I joined my colleagues Julie, Jamie and Damaris and about other hundred Chicago Public school teachers in a ceremony hosted by the Chicago Education Fund to honor the new National Board Certified teachers. After a long year of hard work and collaboration we are all certified to teach in more than 40 states. I'm proud of my achievement, but I know I couldn't have done it with my colleagues help and support. Thank you girls!

El miércoles pasado, Steve y yo asistimos juntos con mis compañeras Julie, Jamie y Demaris y casi cien más profesores de las escuelas públicas de Chicago a una ceremonia organizada por la Fundación de Educación de Chicago para homenajear a las profesores que acabamos de conseguir la licencia pedagogica nacional. Despues de un año de trabajo duro y colaboración, todas podemos dar clase en más de cuarenta estados. Estoy orgullosa de mi logro, pero sé que no lo hubiera podido hacer sin la ayuda y apoyo de mis colegas. ¡Gracias chicas!



The evening started with great hors d'ouevres: smoked salmon, cheeses, scallops, spring rolls, delicious cakes and live piano music. (I once needed scallions for a recipe and bought scallops instead. It was another failed cooking experiment) They had free cocktails too, but
I didn't think it was appropriate for Emilio to start drinking alcohol so soon. It was fun to see some of my colleagues enjoying the free booze! (although I felt sorry for them the next day, ahem!)


La noche empezó con unos aperitivos muy ricos: salmón ahumado, quesos, moluscos, rollos de primavera, unas tartas deliciosas, y música de piano en directo. Tenían cócteles gratis tambien, pero no pensé que sería apropriado para Emilio empezar a beber alcohol tan pronto. ¡Fue divertido ver algunas de mis colegas disfrutando del trago gratis! (Aunque me sentí mal por ellas al día siguiente, ehem, ehem. . .)

5 Comments:

At 11:53 PM, Blogger Steve said...

I liked the chicken fingers with the horseradishy sauce best. Then the chocolate cake.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger lisa said...

scallops and scallions are not exactly interchangeable. i can imagine that that dish didn't exactly turn out the way it was supposed to.
congratulations on your hard work and please read steve's blog for more props.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Maria Jose said...

The dish was ok. How much flavor can scallions actually add?

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger lisa said...

it's not the flavor missing from the scallions, it's the flavor added by the scallops . . .

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger rnr said...

Jen makes a delicious horseradish sauce with Vegennaise and a squirt of Wasabi (from the tube) aka Japanese horseradish. I don't know why they don't just always refer to scallions as the green onion tops. I agree with Lisa, it's how much flavor can scallops destroy? There's also a new scare that indicates that eating raw or undercooked green onions might cause Hepatitis A - maybe more than I wanted to know... http://www.fda.gov/opacom/faqs/hepatitisa.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home